Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Great Skunk Hunt of 2011

Last month, Justin and I noticed that our motion lights would go off in our yard at night at random times. Finally, one day, we saw a chubby and adorable little skunk. Then she ran under our shed. Lovely.

We left her alone for a while until we noticed last week that she had some babies who would run along side her.
DSC_0239-2
Cute, no?
What isn't so cute is our fried lawn. That summer sun can be brutal.

The skunks were cute until one of them sprayed Tank last Thursday night while Justin and I were having dinner with friends in the city. We got a call from Mom Mom & Poppy with that fun news. We realized we needed to safely evict them and move them to a much more skunk-friendly area at a park.

The Great Skunk Hunt of 2011 commenced.
We set up two traps in hopes of catching the mom & her babies.
Score!
DSC_0343

Mom Mom, Nolan, Luke and I watched from the safety of our kitchen. The boys were VERY into the skunk hunt (but not as much as Mom Mom & I)!

DSC_0351
Justin and Poppy were face to face with their captive.

How do we get this tarp on her without her spraying us?!
DSC_0350
I love that Justin's wearing my cleaning gloves and Poppy is carring my boys' dollar store rakes.
DSC_0355
They finally got the tarp over her and she was safely taken to the park. Her babies followed this morning.
DSC_0358
When Luke woke up on Monday morning, he asked me, "gunks?"
He must have really liked the morning entertainment!

1 comments:

Holly said...

oh no! Skunks are not a fun problem!