Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend

We spent this Memorial Day Weekend up the mountains -- the Endless Mountains, to be more specific. It was an especially great trip because it was the first time Luke and Nolan visited the family's mountain house.

Some of the best memories I have from my childhood are from weekend trips up there and I can't wait for my boys and their cousins & friends to have the same fun that we did!

Before we left for the long weekend, my new Nikon D90 arrived in the mail. I ordered the body only from one site and a 35mm lens from a different site. The camera arrived, but not the lens. I was very disappointed thinking I wouldn't be able to use it for our vacation, so, the night before we left, I made a trip to the camera store and bought a 28-75 mm f2.8. I'm still waiting for the 35mm.

Before we packed the truck and made the 2 1/2 hour ride, I took Nolan to the doctor because he had a cold in his eye. Turns out, he had pink eye as well as an ear infection. I'm glad we caught it before we left because the medicine cleared him up right away and he was good for the weekend.

I took so many pictures, that I'm going to break the trip up into two separate posts.

The grass was very long when we got there, but my little guys had a blast running through the yard.
DSC_0019

Once some of the lawn was cut, it was time to take out their little quads!
DSC_0023
They did some exploring before the rest of our family arrived, then it was off to bed!
DSC_0010
DSC_0015
We woke the following morning and did some "fishing" with Uncle Ed & daddy off the back porch.
DSC_0029
DSC_0031
While the boys were napping, the girls, Justin & I took a walk.
DSC_0051
DSC_0050
Luke really enjoyed swinging from the big tree out back, but since I was the one he enjoyed swinging with, I don't have any pictures of it!
DSC_0099
We spent a good deal of time sitting on the porch and chatting!
DSC_0081
DSC_0078
DSC_0112
DSC_0123
Once it got hot out, we pulled out the sprinkler and buckets!
DSC_0133
DSC_0145
Someone snatched mommy's iced coffee!
DSC_0146
Daddy is an excellent bubble-blower.
DSC_0151
DSC_0153
Some crazy person (me) thought it would be a good idea to try the see-saw. I didn't realize how high it went!
DSC_0161
My boys had a great time though!
DSC_0169
DSC_0172
Grammie took the boys for a wheelbarrow ride.
DSC_0192
DSC_0193
So did Pop! Hailey jumped on in for a ride too.
DSC_0213
We needed to clean the kayaks for the following day so, of course, the boys hopped in and demanded a ride!
DSC_0230
Aunt Erin and Uncle Tom stopped by for a few hours since we were so close to their home!
DSC_0239
DSC_0244
DSC_0245
Dinner time!
DSC_0252
DSC_0253
DSC_0279
DSC_0281
Twilight is my absolute favorite time of day up here. The forest gets all dark and spooky, but it's still light out on the fields. LOVE it!!
DSC_0290
Since it was daddy's birthday, we celebrated with cake out by the bonfire!
DSC_0302
DSC_0306
The boys practiced blowing out the candles for their birthday in a few weeks!
DSC_0309
All in all, it was a fun and adventerous first day!

2 comments:

An Irish Italian Blessing said...

Great pictures!!! They came out fabulous and looks like you all had such a good time. Can't wait to see post #2!

Mandy said...

I was (and still am!) the same way about taking so many pictures. Hard not to when you have a great camera that does all the work for you! I got mine about two months ago and I've started breaking up posts, too... haha!