Monday, December 13, 2010

Capturing Memories

When I still lived at home, my little sister would love to sit with me and watch old videos that our parents took from our childhood. Since she is 12 years younger than I, she liked being able to see what I was like as a little girl. She also loved looking through our mom's large box of family photos and ask questions about where the picture was taken and what we were doing (and why we were wearing such goofy clothing --hey, it was the 80's!). She also enjoyed looking through her own baby and toddler pictures as well as watching videos of Christmas mornings when she was a little girl and my brother & I were in our teens. I love that my parents documented our childhoods so well, but a part of me will always wish that there were more pictures to look through.

Picture-taking was very time-consuming twenty years ago because you only had 24 shots on a roll of film and you better make sure they were 'good.' Afterwards, you had to take your roll to get developed. Often times, you'd end up with 18 good pictures and 6 that were either blurry or cut-off.

I think that this is part of the reason I take so many pictures of my sons. It's just so easy with digital cameras & computers. I will always have the memories in my head, but they won't remember anything about this time in years to come. I want to capture their smiling faces, pouty faces and sometimes even their tearful eyes because I want them to be able to look back and re-experience it all over again.

In the meantime, I just need to get a little better at deciding on what pictures to print & put in a photobook versus save on my hard drive. THAT is very time-consuming!

1 comments:

Lisa said...

I couldnt agree more...I take on average 150-200 pictures of my girls a MONTH! However I am reall really bad about printing them...I need to work on that.