Thursday, September 30, 2010

Dropping the afternoon nap

Since I became a mom, I have G00gled everything from 'how to make my own baby food' (which never happened) to 'how to get twins to stop biting eachother.' G00gle and I are very well-acquainted.

Yet again, I turned to the search engine when another mom asked me about a month ago, if Luke and Nolan were down to one nap a day yet. I shuddered and said "my boys will hopefully be on two naps a day until they are six!"

I knew that by the time they turned two, they should only nap once a day, but I didn't know how or when to make the transition. I read everything I could about the topic and decided that I would take a cue from them and wait until they let me know that they were ready.

In the meantime, I was enjoying those twice-daily naps. I accomplished a lot of chores while they were napping (sometimes taking a short nap myself).

Well, I guess the boys were ready because this past week, they made the transition all on their own. They started out by not going down for their morning nap - they'd play in their cribs instead! Eventually, they started staying awake longer until they started going down around 11 and sleeping until 2.

We still have some work to do. I'm going to work with them until they go down around noon for a nap.

Bye Bye nail-painting time!!

3 comments:

Tracy said...

This is so funny Jenn...I google EVERYTHING too! Sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes it's a bad thing:) But I love it!!

snhg1129 said...

We have been experiencing the same thing! ALthough by the time nap times comes around he is exhausted! Which is nice beacuse he doesnt fight nap time.. We just finished the bottle breaking it is going on 5 days with no bottle.. All sorts of transitions from baby to toddler.. I am gonna cry...:)

Rebekah said...

I hear so many people talk about how much they *love* the 1-nap-a-day thing, but I shudder at the thought as well...Hampton almost always takes 2 at least 2-hour naps a day. I will miss that time when it's gone!! Good plan to wait for cues. These boys know what they want/need. :)