Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Weekend Recap

Our past weekend can be described with one word: hot. My goodness, this is the hottest summer I can remember in a long time which isn't good for the boys because I won't let them play outside for too long in the heat.

On Friday, the boys & I met Aunt Chica at our favorite Mexican restaurant for lunch and afterwards, while they were napping I cleaned out the kitchen cabinets of all of their "baby" stuff. I ditched the bottles (yea!!) and remaining formula. I put away the itty, bitty baby spoons from which they took their first bites and pulled out some new big boy plates & bowls.

I'm mostly excited about nixing the bottles since I spent 12 months carefully cleaning the Dr. Brown inserts which was just a pain. Since coming home from our vacation, we eliminated bottles and are now strictly on sippy cups of milk and water.

Mom Mom & Poppy came over on Friday to play with Luke & Nolan and put them to sleep while Justin & I went out to dinner and a movie (Salt). I love and appreciate that quality alone time with him!

On Saturday, Justin had a tux-fitting, so I figured that since it was going to be 101 degrees out, I'd take the boys to Marshalls to do a little shopping. I met my favorite shopping buddy (my mom) and lookee what we got....
Kid leashes. That's right; I'm one of those moms.
I learned pretty quickly once they were both walking that they strategically plan their moves and split up on me when we're in public. I can't be in two places at once, ya know?!
Aunt Chica & Uncle Eric came over on Saturday night to hang out so we tested out the backpack/leash. I don't think they minded too much, but we'll see what happens in the future.
We had a late night on Saturday, but woke with the boys at their usual wake-up time of 7:30 then it was off to Mom Mom & Poppy's house for a little swim & family fun until a thunderstorm & high winds put an end to things.
After the boys went to bed on Sunday night, Justin & I weren't too far behind. It was definitely a fun mid-summer weekend!

9 comments:

Kelly said...

I honestly don't think I could ever get on for my kids, but I have nothing against them, it keeps them within arms reach. They are much cuter now, then they used to be too!
Your boys are getting so big!

Lisa said...

heehee...I dont blame you though!! And can I just say that your boys are looking more and more like littloe boys, rather than babies everytime I see them!!

Mitzi G. said...

They look cute in them :) You have 2 little boys & you are 1 person so let people judge if they want to I think it is a safe way for you to keep up with the boys!!

ABK said...

Do you mind sharing how you weaned/ditched the bottles? I have boy/girl twins who were born right around when Luke and Nolan were born...we're down to 2 bottles a day (2:00 and bedtime) but they still seem to really need those. They fall apart right around that time - I've tried sippy cups instead and it turns into a bigger fit. They do just fine with sippy cups during meals, but want nothing to do with them during their "bottle" feedings. Help! Any suggestions?!?!

Jennifer said...

You're in the same situation I am in with the pacis!

When it came to weaning them off of their bottles, it honestly went very smoothly. There wasn't anything special that I did (that I can think of, anyway!). The boys only really began drinking from their sippys around 11 months & even then, it was hit or miss. At their birthday, they were still on bottles all day long with a sippy here & there. When I got back from vacation, I just didn't give them another option but the sippys and they responded rather well.

Mornings are hardest for us because they don't seem to drink their entire sippy cup first thing in the a.m., but they would ALWAYS drink an entire bottle. I worried that they weren't getting enough milk so what I would do is sit with them on the floor & rub their legs while they drank just so they were comforted while they drank.

I wish that I had better advice for you, but I wish you luck with the transition. I know that it's stressful on everyone in the house when we have to make changes to daily routines!

Mrs.F said...

I'm curious... did the boys like whole milk right away? I just ATTEMPTED to start Gianna on whole milk yesterday & she wasn't having it. She refused to drink any of it & when I tried to trick her she just spit it out! She only wants the formula & I'm stuck on what to do.

ABK said...

Thanks Jenn...I appreciate you taking the time to let me know how you weaned the boys. We'll see how it goes! Thanks for wishing me luck...I think we'll need it :)

PS - Love following along with your boys. My kiddos were born June 21st, 11 weeks premature so it's fun to watch other kids their age grow up!

Meant to be a mom said...

It sounds like you had a fun filled busy weekend. I also think its totally fine that you got the boys the little backpacks with the cord on them. Its better to be safe than sorry. I don't blame you one bit.
Your just watching out for their best interest.

As far as the bottles and the weening. How much milk do they drink in their sippies and how often throughout the day?
I'm just curious. We haven't gotten to that point yet but Cooper is weaning off the bottle and he's drinking formula out of a sippy but he will only take like 1-2 ounces if we are lucky out of his sippy. We have only done 1 feeding a day through the sippy but we have to go down 1 more in a week or so and I want to make sure he's getting enough. He used to drink 6-8 ounce bottles at that feeding. Now he's getting another jar of baby food and 1 ounce of formula because that is all he will drink. Even when we start with the formula first.
I don't know if this is normal?

Meant to be a mom said...

Thanks so much for your great advice Jen. I will definitely check out your next post.