Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Tales from the playground

While we were in Virginia, there was one particularly hot but cloudy day, so Justin, my sister and I decided to take the boys to Lynnhaven Mall to do a little shopping. There's a designated children's play area there, so I suggested to Justin that we let the boys have a little bit of play time.

Justin looked at me with his eyebrows raised, "Really? You want to let them in there with big kids running around?"

"Sure," I said. It looked great: all of the moms were sitting in a long row against the wall drinking iced coffees and playing on their iPhones while their little ones blew off some steam. What a nice way to spend an hour! The boys walk perfectly and are very steady, so I saw no harm in letting them play with the other kids.

Justin decided to sit with the stroller while my sister and I went with the boys into the play area.

In a flash, Luke was off. He is definitely the more independent of the two. I decided to follow him while Danielle kept her eyes on Nolan. After several minutes of watching Luke play, I stood off to the side, but could still see him and run to him if he needed me (which he didn't).

The floor there is padded but there is about a two and a half foot ledge down to the actual play area. I witnessed a little girl look over at the adults to see if anyone was watching her, then I watched as she pushed another little girl off of the ledge. I ran over to see if she was okay and to see if her mom would come over. She didn't. After the tears stopped & she assured me that she wasn't hurt, I turned my eyes to the pusher. "She fell," is what she told me. Uh, no she didn't.

I don't know if it is because I'm a first-time mom or if it's because I'm over-protective but I just couldn't believe that little girl pushed another kid off of a ledge. It was very deliberate and mean. It's times like that where I'm glad my boys come in a pair. I also couldn't believe that neither of their girls mom/nanny/whomever didn't come over to intervene. The girl that fell was screaming, it was kind of hard not to hear her.

I went back to playing with my boys and making "raaawwrr" noises at them (they get such a kick out of that!) as I chased them around. They played with the giant octopus and went down the slide countless times. They loved playing with the other children while under my & Danielle's watchful eyes. I don't know what age I'll stop doing this with them, but for the time being, I'm going to try and prevent someone from pushing them around.

6 comments:

Marcia (123 blog) said...

Jennifer, I'm a mother bear! Just the thought of that little girl being pushed makes my blood boil. I believe it's okay for our kids to see us "roar" LOL on their behalf.

Kelly said...

Way to go! :)

Laura said...

Umm, that is just mean to push other people off playground equipment. The fact that she lied about it is a problem too. I can't believe the parents didn't come over! What the heck?! I totally would've kept Cam from them too.

Alison said...

Wow it sounds like that kid was a bit of a nightmare. Imagine what she'll be like when she gets a bit older!

Meant to be a mom said...

I don't blame you for being upset. I would hope if someone saw their kid push mine they would come discipline their child.
Good for you!

Jennifer said...

Kids can be so mean. It really is sad. I can't believe the moms didn't come over. That's the really sad part. Good for you for helping out!