Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Lessons Learned

While I was cleaning up the entire pitcher of freshly-made lemonade that fell out of my refrigerator and onto my kitchen floor the other day, I noticed that the boys weren't making any noise. Alarm bells went off in my head because this typically means they're getting into trouble.


I walked into the living room and noticed that they found my purse and had removed every item(including the contents of my wallet) from it and were playing with it happily. Nevermind the dirty $10 bill that Nolan was waving around in his hand, Luke had his hands on my Coach sunglasses! I packed everything back up and put my purse in a spot they couldn't grab it from. I learned my lesson: I can't leave my purse hidden behind the table any more - they're going to find it.


I find myself learning a lot of lessons lately.


For instance, I can no longer keep the bathroom door open when the boys are roaming around upstairs. I realized this when I discovered Luke sitting on the floor with half a roll of toilet paper unraveled around him. Nolan also tries to climb into the bath tub and I'm afraid he'll fall and bump his head! Lesson learned: just keep bathroom door closed.


Other lessons learned:

Post-pregnancy hair re-growth is awesome & appreciated, but it's still annoying & silly looking.

eBay is great for ridding yourself of the pre-pregnancy jeans that you no longer fit in.

Leaving the remote control on the couch isn't the best idea (as I learned when Nolan almost ordered 'Avatar' from OnDemand).

I have to distract the boys with something when I need to run to the bathroom. Otherwise, they scream for me until I come out.

Never keep a laundry basket on the floor in the path of the doorway at night. When a baby is crying & you are trying to get to the nursery while it's dark, it becomes a tripping hazard. Lesson learned.

Folding laundry while the boys are awake is virtually impossible.

Always keep baby puffs in the diaper bag. They're useful for when you're eating McDonald french fries at the food court and the boys want them too (naturally, because you're eating them), but you don't want them to have any because they're bad for them. They're bad for me too and I really need to stop eating junk food! Baby Steps...I'm in the process of creating my 101 in 1001 list & this may have to be added!

Tank likes to eat the balls out of the ball pit. I haven't figured out a way to get him to stop, but I'm working on it.

There are more lessons learned, but I think I'll save them for another day.

8 comments:

The Wilson's said...

I've also learned that you can't turn your back to grab the towel while baby is in the tub... Jackson crawled out and bumped his head! I've also learned to never leave the house without a change of house. You never know when a blow-out will occur:)

Erin said...

Hahaha, those are all very good lessons. Here are a few more for you -- buy a lock for the toilet b/c before you know it, the boys will be either splashing in the water, or dumping things in that you'll have to fish out ... Keep Pl*ydoh in the diaper bag, it is the longest lasting and best distraction I have found to date! And -- make sure you have a change of clothes for yourself somewhere in your car when you go out -- you never know when your child is going to vomit, and you're sure to be his main target!

Eclipsed said...

Don't you wish life had a gentler way of teaching us lessons? Like a little handy manuel that told you how to keep your sunglasses away from grubby little fingers?

julie said...

I have had to learn some of these same lessons as well!

Rebecca said...

Yes...so many lessons...so little time. The remote is a big one...they love all the little buttons. I have tried putting my bag everywhere to avoid getting all of my personal belonging strewn about the living room. I always keep the bathroom door closed...I have no idea what I'll do when we hit potty training (I'm so avoiding potty training...it scares me)!

Cuz I'm the mama! said...

These are all wonderful lessons to hear about. We have 8 month old twin girls and we are just embarking on some of this stuff. It helps to get tips from those who have been there. Thanks! You little guys are so cute! :-)

Cuz I'm the mama! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andreina said...

haha, good ones!