Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Carseats

L&N are approaching the one year mark and I cannot tell you how many people have said to me, "you are almost at the point where you can turn your car seats around!"

You mean, they'll actually be able to watch Baby Einstein DVDs on our truck's DVD player when we take long road trips?! Sweet!

I admit that I'm looking forward to that day too and I've always heard that 'once your baby is 20lbs and one year old, you can turn the seat around.' I did some research on the subject before I ask the pediatrician about it at their one year checkup and the stats scared the hell out of me. My little men will be facing the back of the truck until they're 10. Just kidding about that part. They'll be 9 1/2, tops.

This video isn't in English, but it very clearly demonstrates how a rear-facing vs. front-facing carseat protects your baby in the event of a crash.

Pretty scary. The car seat we have allows the boys to be rear-facing until they reach 35lbs which is a reassurance to me because I plan on keeping them that way for a while!

Stats from Car-Safety.Org

  • Rear-facing is safest for both adults and children, but especially for babies, who would face a greater risk of spinal cord injury in a front-facing carseat during a frontal crash.
  • Rear-facing car seats spread frontal crash forces over the whole area of a child's back, head and neck; they also prevent the head from snapping relative to the body in a frontal crash.
  • Rear-facing carseats may not be quite as effective in a rear end crash, but severe frontal and frontal offset crashes are far more frequent and far more severe than severe rear end crashes.
  • Rear-facing carseats are NOT a safety risk just because a child's legs are bent at the knees or because they can touch/kick the vehicle seat.
  • Rear-facing as long as possible is the recommendation of the American Academy of Pediatricians, and can reduce injuries and deaths. Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 overall cause of death for children 14 and under.

It looks like our truck's DVD player won't be getting a work out any time soon.

7 comments:

The Wilson's said...

thank you for posting this. I've been discussing this issue with my husband and in-laws, but didn't have and documentations to visually back me up!

Lisa said...

I am a HUGE car seat advocate and I can tell you that is a very important decision to keep them rear facing as long as possible (or until 2). And you may think I'm nuts, but Kay is 6 and still in a 5 point harness car seat!! SHe rides in a Britax Regent which has a harness system until 80 pounds...so she will prob. be in it until she is close to 8 or so! But honestly it is the SAFEST way to ride, and I drive a lot so its important to me.

Jennifer said...

Wow! Scary! What car seats do you have?

Rebecca said...

I did a lot of research on this too, but I totally caved (for ease of snack distribution...of all things). Who knew? It isn't really publicized enough in the States, is it? I think you're making the best decision for your little one. Congrats!

Erin said...

My boys are 2 and still rear-facing. Some people give me strange looks, and I've heard more than once, "Why don't you just TURN THEM AROUND?" Like I'm being some over-paranoid, freak of a parent. Many parents are unaware of the safety benefits of staying rear-facing, and many pediatricians still spout the "12-month, 20lb rule" -- which is clearly antiquated at this point!

Meant to be a mom said...

Wow thank you so much for showing that video. It made me sick to my stomach to imagine my son being one of those babies in the video. That's so scary. We will most definitely be facing the rear for as long as possible.

Shell said...

I kept mine rearfacing for longer than a year. No real point to rush into forward facing!