Thursday, April 29, 2010

Sticker Shock

Anybody who knows me well, knows that I am obsessed with the Food Network. It's on my television every day & the boys probably think of Ina Garten or Giada as one of their buddies. Justin and I often have conversations about what Food Network chefs we would like to come to our home and cook for us. We even rank them in order!

My list goes like this (#1 being my favorite!):

  1. Ina Garten
  2. Giada
  3. Paula Deen
  4. The Neeleys
  5. Bobby Flay
Justin's list is:
  1. Giada
  2. Giada
  3. Giada
  4. Giada
  5. Bobby Flay with Giada as sous' chef
I wonder why?

Mother's Day is coming up and I was trying to come up with ideas for a gift that my mom would enjoy. Well, she and I are big Paula Deen enthusiasts and whenever we watch the show, both of us are always commenting on how much we love the measuring cups she uses. They're seriously cute!

(You know you're getting old when you start admiring other women's cooking utensils).

I visited Paula's website today and discovered that Tin Woodsman makes the pewter measuring cups we so admire and they're $177.95.

$177.95 for measuring cups.

Now, they are very pretty and I really enjoy them and of course my mother is worth $177.95, but I just can't bring myself to shell out the money for them! Before I found out how much they cost I was thinking that perhaps I'd order two sets: one for mom & one for myself. Not happenin'!

Have you had some sticker shock lately? Anything you had your eye on, but once you found out how much it costs, you changed your mind?!

6 comments:

Mitzi G.!! said...

I looked into getting those a few weeks ago for myself since I want to start using my new kitchen for some baking & decided that I can use the ones I have........$180 is a bit much!

Kristi H said...

Those are beautiful measuring spoons, but wow... quite pricey! I bought my MIL some neat silver measuring spoons at a local gift shop for her birthday. Here's a link of the same ones on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A289788%2Cp_4%3AGanz&page=1 These are somewhat similar, but much cheaper!

Jennifer said...

Kristi, thank you so much for that link!! I will be ordering a set :-)

Mitzi, you're such a domestic goddess ;) Check out the link above - there are some cute spoons that aren't pewter, but they still have the same look!

Lisa said...

What?! Thats crazy! I am a big food network, paula dean, giada, rachel ray fan myself : )

Mrs.F said...

Giada & Paula Deen are my absolute faves on Food Network!! I'm a FN junkie too... you're not alone ;)

Some sticker shock for me would be the price of cake stands. I've never owned a cake stand, but really wanted to purchase a nice plain white one for Gianna's birthday party & I can't believe how much some of those things cost! I was honestly expecting $30?? Maybe I'm naive LOL

MrsBro... said...

Sippy cups. Ya ya, I know they are only like 5-7 bucks but when the chances of Thomas not liking say...4 in a row..It starts to add up. WTF are bottles&sippy cups so damn expensive.

& I totally will spend $$ on clothes, food, etc but when it comes to small stuff for the babe. It should be cheaper because smaller should equate to less expensive.

LOL