Friday, April 16, 2010

How We Entertain The Kids

Every parent knows that there are just some times your children aren't entertained by their toys. There are days where banging a spoon on a pot instead of playing with their activity table is more appealing. It is times like this when Justin and I resort to different things to do with the kiddos.

Last month, I ordered some seamless paper with the intention of using it as a nice background for taking the boys' pictures. Right. They were far more interested in rubbing their head on the paper and crawling all over it while squealing! I have now realized that if the boys are growing cranky or bored, all I need to do is whip out the seamless paper and they become very happy. Luke especially loves the paper!
Nolan absolutely loves to wear things on his head. Whether it be a hat, lovie blanket or napkin. He doesn't care! He also knows that if I begin to tap my fingers against his mouth, he can say "aaaaahhh" and it sounds funny!! We do this quite often during the day!

video

Other means of entertainment are:

Playing with paper shopping bags - they love them!

Kitchen spoons & Tupperware bowls. I can get loads of dinner prep work finished if I give them some wooden spoons!

Playing under the kitchen table - just don't try to stand or you'll bump your head. I've ended up sitting under the table with them while we clap our hands and sing. Apparently, this is quite fun for them!

Boxes. Sitting in them; sitting under them; banging their hands on them; it makes no difference. They enjoy this too!

Please enlighten me with ways you keep your kids entertained! I'm always looking for ideas!

8 comments:

Mitzi G.!! said...

Brayden too thinks that it is great to pat my hand on his mouth & make the funny noises.......it always makes him giggle!! Other than that just give him a water bottle & he will be great for at least 10 minutes!!

Rebecca said...

Love it! We use kitchen equipment...whisks, bowls, etc.

Fart noises...yes, at such a young age even!

Bubbles...

Kelly said...

Those pictures are adorable!! I do some crazy things to entertain my kids. You'd definitely think I was crazy!

Sarah said...

Love it! It is funny how the little things can keep them entertained. They really don't need real toys until 2. HA! Landon loves making noises with his mouth. He would just sit there with his paci or fist and make the funny noises.

A new thing we just did was taking the top lids of formula cans and put different textures on them. We did (cotton balls, sand paper, and felt). Oh, dancing/singing to the Glee soundtrack in the living room always works for some good laughs too.

Serendipity said...

Cute shots! Stopping by from SITS :)

Ms. Sarah said...

happy sits saturday. your boys are too cute. Where did you find the seamless paper? I have been thinking about doing this for our boys.

julie said...

Brayden loves boxes! And wooden spoons, spatulas, tupperware...doesn't really matter to him!

Shannon said...

Saw your blog on Top Baby Blogs and I love it, your boys are so cute!