Thursday, April 1, 2010

Ear Infection

Well, Candice was right; Luke has an ear infection. I went into work on Wednesday after another sleepless night with the intention of going out to happy hour later in the day. I mention this because I didn't have my truck (with the car seats) with me. Justin had the truck with him because he was going to pick the boys up from Grammy's house later in the day.

My mom called me around 3:00 yesterday and informed me that Luke was only drinking 2 oz from each bottle and he wasn't showing any interest in his food, so I called the pediatrician and they offered to squeeze me in at 4:30, which is when they close.

I work in downtown Philadelphia and it's a mad house during the week. I needed to pick up Luke from Grammy's house, install a car seat, then make my way to the burbs for his appointment in the span of an hour. I Googled it, and it's only a 22 mile trip that should take 28 minutes. I didn't think I had a prayer.

Long story short: I made it there on time. We were seen and it turns out that he has an ear infection. This is why he hasn't been eating. The swallowing is hurting his ears. It also hurts to lay down, which is why the nights have been so miserable.

He started his antibiotics last night and we gave him some baby motrin which seemed to help his discomfort. He slept in a car seat next to our bed the whole night! Yea!

If your baby ever had an ear infection, how long did it take for him or her to feel better? Easter is on Sunday and I am hoping his feeling like himself by then. Thanks!

12 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh no! I hope he starts feeling better. It took Landon and Jalen around 2 days to feel better.

Mindy said...

Awww, poor Luke! I'm glad he started the antibiotics. Jack had an ear infection two weeks ago (and both boys had RSV - yuck!) but he started to show improvement the very next day. A week later, I feel like his appetite has doubled, almost like he's making up for lost time! :) Luke should be feeling better in NO time at all!!

Jenn Murray said...

We've only had 1 EI .:knocks on wood:. but by day 2 of anitbiotics made a world of change. I hope everyone is back to normal soon!!

Lisa said...

Poor baby. Kay has A LOT of ear infection when she was an infant. With him now being on anitbiotics, he should be feeling better in about 2 days. But be aware- antibiotics can cause them to had dirreahea, so look out for that ; )

Tara said...

So sorry one of your boys has an ear infection. But I am {sadly} a pro on all things ear infection! I promise! So, if they gave him an antibiotic he should start to feel better in the next couple days and will probably act fine at Easter. But watch him, because a couple of days after he finishes the antibiotic he might start to act a little fussy again or run a little temp and that means that the antibiotic didn't kick it. And you probably need to go back to the doctor. Both of my kiddos have had chronic ear infections and my daughter had tubes put in at 13 months and my son has an appt w/ the surgeon in april to get tubes... and he's only 4 months old. More than likely the antibiotics will get rid of it! Good luck!!! I hope that you have an ear infection free baby on Easter!!! :)

Kristi H said...

Well I'm glad you caught it early! My girls didn't have any of the typical side effects (lack of eating/drinking, fever, problems sleeping, etc.) but were just extra fussy for almost a week before we decided to take them in. They both had ear infections - one of them in both ears! They were 100% back to normal within a few days! I hope he has a speedy recovery for Easter!

Jamie said...

My daughter had a lot of ear infections when she was younger. Normally by day 2 (the third does or so), she was feeling much better and could lay in her crib and sleep all night. Hope Luke feels better soon!

Jennifer said...

Thank you all so much for your helpful & sweet comments. After reading everything, I'm hopeful he'll be feeling pretty good come Sunday. xo

Sulli said...

I literally pouted and stuck my lower lip out cuz I was so sad to read this! Poor guy. I have no advice but you're an awesome mommy and I'm sure he'll feel better soon!

Candice said...

Sorry for being right :-(
My daughter's had two ear infections (17 months) and both times it only took a day or two for her to feel better. He'll be back to himself in no time!

Jeannie said...

I hope he gets to feeling better quickly! Lucas has had 2 ear infections and with both, he was doing better within about 24 hours.

Mrs.F said...

Poor little guy! Gianna had her 1st ear infection almost a month ago & with the antibiotics her pedi gave us it was gone within 3 days. I hope he feels better soon!