Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Running On Empty

I took this photo of Luke sleeping yesterday afternoon. He wasn't feeling well, but didn't want to be left alone in his nursery for a nap, so I laid him in the basket next to me so that I could play with Nolan. Luke watched his brother and I play until his eyes closed.
He looked so peaceful, it melted my heart.
Luke has come down with a cold and if there's anything I remember very clearly from their previous cold in December, it's that my boys need to be held upright when they aren't feeling well. They don't like to be propped upright with a blanket under their mattress, so into mommy's arms it is. If I do manage to get Luke to sleep and put him in the pack n play I have set up next to our bed (just while he's sick), he wakes up screaming after about 30 minutes . He then needs to be picked up and rocked before calming down. Justin and I haven't gotten much sleep the past two nights, but it comes with the territory. We're basically running on empty at the moment which wouldn't be so bad if we didn't have two very active and mobile little boys to chase after.

Despite the cold that Luke has and the constant sneezing that will inevitably turn into a cold for Nolan, they are both still crawling around our house at high-speed. I don't know if it can be called separation anxiety or what, but they're at the stage where they cry if they see me leave the room. Usually I will just talk to them from where I am and encourage them to follow me. Sometimes they do and other times something will distract them and they'll stop whining.

We aren't completely baby-proofed yet, but we're getting there. On our third floor, where our bedrooms are, is a brand new gate blocking the boys from the stairs. I used to keep them in one of the rooms with me with the door shut, but now I feel safer knowing that if I travel from one room to the next, they can follow without any incident. When I'm in the kitchen, they always follow. They just love it in there! Pulling themselves up on our cabinets and drawers seems to be a hobby that they both enjoy. We bought some drawer latches this past weekend, but haven't installed them yet because we've been pretty busy with keeping them happy while they're fighting the cold.

Hopefully tonight will bring us a few straight hours of rest. I'm going to say extra prayers tonight that the little guys are feeling better by Friday because we have such gorgeous weather heading our way!

13 comments:

Kelly said...

Praying for sleep for the both of you!!
That is such a cute picture! Priceless!

Open Roads Mama said...

it may just be the separation anxiety, I read somewhere it peaks from 9-18 months. My little monkey has been just like that too in recent weeks, he'll cry when I leave the room and leave him or quickly try to follow behind me... Our little adorable sweets know they want their moms and nothing will stop them. :)

Hope the cold is cured quickly!

Mitzi G.!! said...

That is the most precious picture!! I hope that the boys feel better soon & that you all get some much needed rest.

Rebecca said...

Love that picture. You're a trooper for holding your twins upright...I could never do it. We're smack in the middle of colds right now and it is the worst!!!

Candice said...

Just a friendly word of advice - whenever my daughter doesn't want to sleep lying down, it's because she has an ear infection (makes it hurt worse to lay down). A cold can definitely develop into one, so just keep that in mind! Hope they feel better!

BrendaS said...

You and your laundry baskets! I think you need a post "101 Uses for a Laundry Basket"!

Meant to be a mom said...

Poor little baby. I hope he starts to feel better and you guys get to start to sleep again.

That picture is just precious!

Lisa said...

poor little guy...hope he feels better soon and his brother doesnt catch it!

Jennifer said...

Hoping that pesky cold is gone soon!

Jeannie said...

that has to be one of the cutest pictures!!! hope they get to feeling better!!

M~ said...

That is the cutest picture!!! Love it...we are in the middle of fighting off a cold too! My little guy has his 2 top teeth coming so we are in the same boat as you and your Hubby! Prays for all of tonight to get some sleep :)

Cassie said...

That's just the sweetest picture. I hope he's feeling better soon!

Heather said...

Hope the night went better. But what a sweet picture!