Sunday, March 14, 2010

"Moments"

At a very, very early hour today, Nolan awoke with a little cry. I was the first on the scene and managed to comfort him back to sleep. Twenty minutes later, he was up again and it was daddy's turn to coax him back to sleep. Nolan didn't care, he was up and wanted to play so we left him in his crib with his aquarium and retreated to our bed. More noise-making ensued and when we went back into the nursery to check on him, he was pouting and Luke was sitting up in his crib, eyes wide open.

It's just another one of those nights that happen around here where Justin and I just lay in bed and talk while we try to allow our baby(ies) to self-soothe themselves back into a restful sleep.

After two hours (not kidding) we had had it and caved in. Luke fell back to sleep without any problems, but Nolan just wanted to party. We gave him a bottle which he finished in five minutes then began crying. We all know what this means around here: Nolan wanted Mommy.

People sometimes joke and call a child a "momma's boy," but Nolan genuinely is and I'd be lying if I didn't say that I actually, just a wee bit, secretly love it.

I went back to the nursery, picked my son up and brought him back to my bedroom. We sat in the glider in silence and he moulded himself to the front of me, his head on my chest. I laid my cheek on his impossibly soft hair and breathed him in. I truly wish this would last forever. I've always dreamed of these "moments." I think every mother does. I desperately want to preserve them because I know that they aren't going to last forever.

After 20 minutes of rocking, I gently put Nolan back into his crib where he immediately woke & started screaming. So much for my moment! It was back into the bedroom where I did something I never do: Nolan slept in bed with me. He was as happy as could be and it took him a little while to fall back to sleep, but after smacking my chest with his pudgy hand and looking up at me and laughing, he eventually did. So did I. I love these moments...

Here's the man of the hour demonstrating his cruising, crawling & standing skills.




Could you spare a click? Thanks!!

Help Our Rank & Visit Top Baby Blogs, Baby Blog Directory!

9 comments:

Carolina Girl said...

Some of my most favorite moments were getting up in the middle of the night and feeing my son. I loved them all. it was our quite perfect time together. I was actually sad when I didn't have to do it anymore.

Christine said...

aww he is such a cutie! I hope you get a nap today sounds like you may both need one :)

Leigh said...

Connor is a mommy's boy too and I not-so secretly love it LOL

i really need to write a blog about a parenting workshop i went to, but short answer - you do whatever it takes for your family :)

Jenilee said...

middle of the night moments are so precious! well, not exactly in the moment but something to cherish anyway... it really does fly by!

Freely Living Life said...

Check him out!! Handsome young man you have there!

Glad to see that you are able to cherish those precious baby moments. You are 100% correct that they do not last forever.

We are already followers of your blog and wanted to stop by and say hello. Hope you had a fantastic weekend! <3

Jennifer said...

What a sweet moment. I'll say it again...your boys are cute!! Adorable!

Lara said...

Hi! I am your newest follower! You should stop by my bog and check out my very first giveaway! I'm glad yours have been successful!!
http://blogginmommadrama.blogspot.com

Rebekah said...

I love those moments too. Even when all you want to do is go to sleep, it's still bliss.

Laura said...

Yep, those moments are the best. We had a bad sleeping night like that with Cam recently. I let him sleep in bed with my husband. When I tried to move him he woke back up and started crying. The minute I put him back in bed with Blake, he was silent again and just snuggled right up to him. :)