Thursday, March 25, 2010

Baby Landing

The boys and I arrived home last evening after having dinner at Grammy's house. We got ourselves situated and the boys were playing together very nicely on the living room floor, so I decided to put away their clean laundry.

This task took all of 90 seconds and in that time time, Nolan managed to climb the 2 steps onto the landing of our stairs. There is a small 4 tiered shelf currently residing there that has vases & picture frames on it. You can imagine my surprise when I began descending the steps and noticed my son standing at this shelf playing with a vase.

My good heavens, I nearly fell down the steps! How did he manage to climb 2 steps so quickly?!

We never blocked this area off because neither baby has shown much interest in it, but I am guessing that now we're going to have to something about it.

You can see in this older picture (obviously it's older: I'm pregnant) the landing that I'm talking about. There's a wicker vase thing with sticks in it on the landing. How am I supposed to baby proof that area?! There is no railing on the one side of the stairs, so it's open. 99% of the homes in my neighborhood are set up this way and children grow up just fine in these houses, but HOW do their parents keep them away from the steps?!


Justin & I may have to get creative this weekend...

Oh, and if you could help me get back onto the 1st page of Top Baby Blogs, I'd appreciate it! Just a click away...
Help Our Rank & Visit Top Baby Blogs, Baby Blog Directory!

10 comments:

Rebekah said...

Don't they have free standing baby gates? I've seen some people with them in front of their fire places or Christmas trees. You could try that...Not the prettiest, but you could quickly put it away when guests come over. Good luck!

Kristi H said...

The only thing that I can think of is to use the panels that snap together and extend it behind the furniture to hold it up. But then you'd have no way to get to the stairs besides stepping over it. Good Luck!

I had never seen my girls conquer a step until I lost one of them... she was in our office upstairs when I finally found her! We put a gate up immediately!

Mitzi G.!! said...

I am sure that there is some sort of baby contraption for that area :)

Kristine said...

Hi Jenn :)

I stalk your blog now and again. It's Kristine (Norah & Ben's mom).

My honest opinion - don't go overboard with the babyproofing! Of course if it is dangerous (i.e. the main staircase), or a special collectible that you would be heartbroken if it got ruined - yes, put that stuff away. But, if it won't hurt the kids then I think they need to learn that not EVERYTHING is theirs just b/c they can reach/touch it! It serves them well when they go to other houses/places where they can't touch everything (plus it isn't fair to friends that they need to rearrange their houses when company comes).

Just my two cents - I realize I am in the minority in my thinking :) Just thought I would throw it out there. I would definitely gate off the top and bottom of the main staircase, but I would leave the landing (maybe move the vase if you don't want them playing with it) - it will also let the kids practice just one or two stairs without the fear of them falling down an entire staircase!

I am still nervous about stairs with my two - but we live in a rancher so they don't get too much practice :)

Erin said...

I think I would leave the 2 steps and the landing area open for them to climb on, and just gate off the actually stairway that goes upstairs. A little 2 step landing is a nice way for them to learn how to master crawling up and down stairs, and if they fall, they don't have that far to go and the area is carpeted. We have a big step down between the kitchen and dining room (just one step, but probably 10"), and there was no way to gate it because the doorway is the entire room. The boys learned to navigate it pretty quickly, with very few falls/bumps. Good luck!

Ms. J said...

Just found your blog and I am new follower! I have been a nanny to multiple families with twins and I am so in love with them and hope to have twins of my own one day! Your boys are so adorable!

Heather said...

ha ha! When I saw this picture pop up on the sidebar of my blog, I thought you were announcing something!

Good luck with the gates!

Meant to be a mom said...

What about one of those circle play areas, I would buy one of those and just set it in front of the stairs. Better to be safe than sorry.

That little rascal!!!

Jennifer said...

Oh my goodness. They are fast little guys! :) Hope you find a solution to the landing problem

Coo Coo Courtney said...

Ha! I loved reading this post. I'm your new Friday Follower I hope you have a fabulous weekend and please come and visit me too!
http://coocoocourtney.blogspot.com