Thursday, March 25, 2010

Another Bad Portrait Studio Experience

These up top, are my photos. Bottom are "S"
Last Friday we went to a photo studio, which shall remain nameless, but it begins with an "S," and needless to say, I was once again unhappy with the whole experience.

I had heard good things about this particular studio because my cousin takes her daughter there and the pictures always turn out lovely. In all fairness, this studio was far cleaner & larger than the previous "S" Studios that I went to, but the photographer was sloppy & we felt rushed...again.

When I called to make the appointment, I informed them that there were 2 subjects & that they were 9 months old. Nobody ever told me that we are only allotted 15 minutes of picture time. I would have booked two separate slots just to have a full half hour to try and get some good shots!

We arrived at the studio, happy babies in tow, then were led to our room. It took about 5 minutes for the photographer to set up the background (which ate up a nice chunk of our studio time!!), then we were ready for pictures.

You try keeping two 9 month old boys sitting together in a new room. They wanted nothing to do with sitting still; there was too much to explore! This is when the photographer told me, "you know, we can't keep taking shots of just the two of them because you're only allowed 15 minutes & I have 4 other poses to do." Um, okay.

We tried the single poses and it was a little better because we were able to keep just the one baby seated for long enough to snap a picture. By this point, I was fed up and knew that I'd be going home and taking my OWN pictures of the boys because all of the shots they were showing me were not that great.

When we arrived home, I was happy to see that my seamless paper had arrived in the mail, so I set it up, plopped the boys on it and snapped away. They didn't turn out as nice as I would have hoped, but I need practice, plus it was a strange time in the day and the natural light wasn't that great in my house. Plus I still don't know how to shoot in manual.

Below are the "professional" pictures. They're nice enough, but not that great. Up top are the shots I took of the boys that are put it together in a collage. The white balance isn't that great, but like I said, I'm still learning the basics of shooting with a DSLR.

I planned on going back for their one year portraits, but I think I may try another studio. That is, unless I learn how to use my camera properly!

Nolan looking very confused at the photographer...

I'm smiling at mommy who is singing the ice cream song to me. The photographer keeps making a high-pitched buzzing noise at me, which I find strange.

Luke wanted NOTHING to do with this girl.
I'm not smiling for you, weird photographer-lady, who keeps talking to me loudly like I'm hard of hearing. Seriously, why do they screech & yell at the babies. Do they think that makes them want to smile?

The End of Mommy's Complaining.

24 comments:

Lisa said...

yeah, its really hit or miss with those places. you might want to try portrait innovations if theres one near you, ive always had a pretty good experience with them. The pics you took are cute!!

Mitzi G.!! said...

Luke looks so serious in the pictures you took BUT they look great good job!!

K∂riиє* Smith. said...

He is gorgeous !
Happy Friday Follow!
Please check out my blog and follow me back?
cheers !

http://halfbrazilianhalfirish.blogspot.com/

K∂riиє* Smith. said...

even with a bad photographer.

Mom et al said...

Hi, I'm your newest Friday Follower!

Come visit me and follow back at mom-et-al.com

-Maria

Suzanne said...

OMG - your pictures are 1,000x better than the professional. Screw them - save your money and take your own!!!

Rebekah said...

I agree with Suzanne. I thought the collage was from the studio until I got to the bottom of your post!

I'm trying to learn my camera, too, and I feel like I will never understand it! Boo :( Keep trying!Where did you order seamless paper from? Thanks!

Jennifer said...

Hey Rebekah, I tried responding to your post via email, but it isn't listed :( I got the paper off of Adorama at Amazon for $24.99. It's a long roll & they have loads of pretty colors. I will probably order blue next!

The Wilson's said...

YOUR pics are too cute! Thanks for posting the paper information. I may look into ordering some too. Your boys are just too sweet:)

Pyjammy Pam said...

Oh my gosh , I can't believe how much better yours look! Forget the pros!

snhg1129 said...

I am a pro photographer! if you have any questions let me know... Also i would for sure be calling the Manager of the studio and letting them know about your horrible experience. Your pictures look great...

Becks said...

Wow! Your pictures look WAY better than the professional ones! Good job! You know, I almost always shoot in automatic too :) The only thing I do is make sure the flash is turned off, and I also set the camera to take high color pictures, but that's it. I find the best time to take pictures is in the late afternoon because the colors are so rich then.

If I were you, I would send a letter (or email) of complaint to the manager of that picture studio. Spending 5 minutes of your 15 on setting up the background, rushing you through it because he has 4 other appointments after you, not informing you that you only even HAD 15 minutes when you would have been happy to book 2 appointments and get 30 minutes - that is WAY unprofessional, and the manager of that store deserves to know that his employees are doing a poor job and losing them business.

Erin said...

We have had hit-or-miss luck with the portrait studio we have tried. There is one girl who is great, but the others are all lazy and sit there, waiting for the boys to sit still and look at them and smile. Didn't work when they were infants, and certainly doesn't work now that they are 2 and into EVERYTHING! We had a lot of luck with a free-lance photographer -- she takes amazing pictures, but is obviously more expensive.

We are actually off for the boys' 2-year pictures at the portrait studio, I am sure I will have a post very similar to yours within a few hours! The last time we were there, I heard the photographers complaining outside the room about which one was "stuck" photographing teh twins. Awesome ...

Jennifer said...

Thank you all for the helpful & sweet comments! I think that what I'll end up doing is emailing the studio manager to let her know about my bad experience.

Erin, I can't believe how rude that photographer was who said that about Sam & Ben! If I ever said anything to that effect at my firm, I'd be in a whole heap of trouble! It amazes me what people get away with at work :(

Ange said...

Oh man - "S" studio was the single worst experience for us also so far!! I just remember thinking - we are such newbie parents taking our 1 month old for pictures in a hot basement with cheesy backgrounds!!

WantWait&Pray said...

Your pics are SOOOOO much cuter! Wow....adorable!!!

sadie607 said...

Yours are way better. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. We had a not so good experience with S as well recently.

Joy said...

Yours are SO MUCH BETTER! What a shame. I would definitely call and lodge a complaint with a manager. What a bunch of boloney!

Laura said...

I agree yours are WAY better. I took Cam to one of of those 'S' studios too. Not sure if you remember it or not but it was a disaster and we vowed to never do it again!

Natalie A. said...

I love the collage you put together! It's bright and cheery!! :) That's to bad the studio place didn't spend much time. You would think they'd want you to get some decent pictures so you would go back to them. I'm surprised they rush you and I can't imagine only 15 minutes! Keep up your great photos!
Have a great weekend! :)

Natalie A. said...

I have something for you..hope you'll join in :)
http://theadventuresofpaulnatalie.blogspot.com/2010/03/better-basket-blog-hopfor-wonderful.html

Have a great weekend!

Letherton said...

I'm a professional photographer. I recommend you google one in your area way better that the studio. we spend way more time with a more personalized experience.

Here from FF running behind this week

Take a minute to check out my blog
I Have a Misikko Hana flat Iron Giveaway Going over 100 dollar package and other giveaways also

ethertonphotography.blogspot.com

Aphrodite's Mortal Friend (ME) said...

Learn how to use your own camera- that's what I say ... or find some high schooler that needs a project for photography class- could be an interesting eye ;-) Well, Happy belated Friday Follow ... stop by my place when you can.

Mrs.F said...

Umm I have to be honest & say that YOUR photos of the boys are waaaaaay more professional looking than the actual professional photographer! I'm still learning how to use my DSLR properly too, but looks like you're doing a great job :)