Monday, January 25, 2010

This Week's Lunch Solution

This is my first week of not purchasing lunch while at work. Today is a miserable, rainy day so I didn't want to drag the boys outside to do some grocery shopping. In other words, I needed to make lunch for work for tomorrow with whatever I had in my fridge & pantry.

I took a look at what I had on hand and decided to make Tomato Bisque. I have a recipe that I've made several times, but I didn't have all of the ingredients needed for that recipe, so I modified it a bit and I must say -- it turned out delicious! Now all I need to do is pack a small salad to go with my soup.

I'm going to approximate the ingredients because I didn't measure -- I just poured!

28oz can chunky crusted tomatoes with basil, garlic & oregano
15oz can crushed tomatoes
1 cup beef broth
1 bay leaf
1 tsp sugar
4 beef bouillon cubes
1/2 stick butter
3 tbsp flour
2 - 3 cups milk -- I used 1%
black pepper to taste

Directions: Add tomatoes, bouillon cubes, beef broth, bay leaf, sugar & black pepper to large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil then reduce heat & simmer for 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat.

In another saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in the flour to make a roux. Slowly add milk, stirring constantly until thickened. Transfer to the tomato mixture.

Total time: 20 minutes. 4 servings.

5 comments:

kace said...

What a great money saving idea! I am gonna have to convince my hubs to try this! Love the pics of the boys in the tub... I never thought of using a laundry basket... great idea!

Lisa said...

Thats looks yum,and super easy! Good luck with the rest of your challenge..cant wait to see how it turns out!

Jennifer said...

Wow - that sounds delicious! I am going to make it this week!

Mitzi G.!! said...

Sounds & looks very good; I am going to have to try it!!

kanishk said...

I never thought of using a laundry basket... great idea!

Work from home India