Sunday, January 24, 2010

Grocery Challenge

Just this past week, Justin & I challenged ourselves to try and only spend $25 a week on food for ourselves. A lot of people are probably laughing at me at the moment -- like my mother. I think that it can be done, but it will be a challenge. My personal challenge would be lunch on the days I'm at work. It's so easy for me to just run out with my friends and grab an $8 sandwich and $4 soup from the deli on the corner. That really adds up!

No more!

In an effort to eat more healthful foods, I'm going to try and eliminate pre-cooked or frozen food, like my beloved taquitos (so bad for me!). I think that minimizing the frozen foods will cut down on my weekly food allowance as well as helping me works towards my goal of eating better.

The boys helping mommy shop at Sam's Club

This was their first time riding in the cart! They're usually in a stroller.

This is a recipe from Cooking Light that I made for dinner one night this week. It was very flavorful, quick and budget-friendly!

Ingredients
2 cups uncooked egg noodles
Cooking spray
1 pound top sirloin steak, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
1 (8-ounce) package presliced baby bella mushrooms
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 fresh thyme sprigs
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (optional)

Preparation
1. Cook noodles according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain.

2. While noodles cook, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add steak; sauté 5 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove from pan; cover.

3. Melt butter in pan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Stir in soy sauce. Sprinkle flour over mushroom mixture; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add broth, stirring constantly. Add pepper, salt, and thyme sprigs. Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes or until thickened. Return beef to pan; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Discard thyme sprigs. Garnish with thyme leaves, if desired.

7 comments:

jbwife said...

I don't go to Sams (although we should) so maybe their carts are larger...how did you fit both of those guys up front together??

Jennifer said...

Hi jbwife! Sams Club has large carts and there is space for 2 babies up front :-) I love it!

2SetsOfTwins4Me said...

I wish every store had carts like that, I love sams shopping carts, its as if they made them especially for us moms of twins. lol

Good luck and hope you are able to meet that 25 dollar budget a week, its definately possible.

That recipe sounds yummy

Jennifer said...

I found your blog through another TTC blog. Your boys give me even more faith during this difficult journey! I can't wait to try the recipe you posted. It looks delicious!!

Leigh said...

You can totally do it. I'd ease into the watching money thing by eating from your pantry and freezer. Whenever I want to stay within budget (we have a tight budget which I really like to stay within), that's where I start.

It also forces you to become creative and make up new recipes :)

Pyjammy Pam said...

i tried that last summer (well, keeping to a food budget for a month) and i need to try that again.

the boys are so cute!

kanishk said...

how did you fit both of those guys up front together??

Work from home India