Tuesday, December 29, 2009

It all started with a runny nose...

It has been almost two weeks and I'm still not entirely over this cold, which is very unusual for me. The dry cough and stuffy nose is still lingering, but thankfully Luke and Nolan are back to normal.

When Nolan started with his runny nose, I had no idea what we were getting ourselves into. The day after he started to get sick, Justin left for Charlotte, NC for work. My mom had already made plans to sleep over on the nights he was away because it was easier for her to wake up with the boys on the days that I had work rather than driving to our house at 6 a.m. I am so happy she was there because Nolan needed to be held constantly and he slept easier when he was elevated, so he spent 5 nights sleeping on my chest. Since I was so busy with Nolan, my mom entertained Luke.

One night, while Nolan was resting on me and Mom Mom was helping with Luke, we noticed that Luke started to get unusually cranky. That's when we noticed the stuffy nose and warm head. Lovely. Now I had two sick babies. Poor Luke must have had a sore throat because every time he coughed, he cried. It just about broke my heart.

Luke wasn't really comforted sleeping on my chest like Nolan was so he spent his nights in his carseat beside my bed. I was up every hour either rocking the carseat, sucking boogies out with the aspirator, taking temps, giving Tylen0l, or just comforting a miserable baby. I think we handled it well until we became sick ourselves. That's when the fun began. Nolan started to feel better, but still had a runny nose and cough while Justin, Luke & I were nursing our colds. I couldn't take anything that made me drowsy because I didn't want to feel groggy while caring for the boys. I made the mistake of drinking some Alka_Seltzer and just about passed out. I was not a happy camper. Meanwhile, Nolan wanted to play because he had some renewed energy, but Luke was coughing and projectile vomiting.
Looking back, it was quite funny. I'm just kidding.

I PRAY that this doesn't happen again this winter. I know that the odds are against us and I'm lucky that the boys made it to 5 1/2 months before getting a cold, but man was that a tiring two weeks!

4 comments:

Meant to be a mom said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you guys are still fighting that cold. I hope it gets better really fast. Our poor Cooper and myself have the dreaded cold now and its only been 3 days. Reading your blog scares me that this may last longer than we were hoping.

I hope you guys get completely better quickly.

Rebekah said...

Oh man, I'm so sorry. Poor little guys (and mom and day!!). I hope the crud is completely gone soon!

I gave you an "award" on my blog. Thanks for the encouragement in my journey!!

Angepeets said...

I've been going through the same ordeal. Chloe & I seem to keep passing the cold back and forth for the last 3 weeks. Dreadful! I recommend trying a netipot.

In this wonderful life... said...

your boys are beautiful!!! :) even with a runny nose ;)