Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Taking L&N for their Christmas Portraits - not a fun experience

When the boys were born, our dear friends purchased a package for Luke & Nolan to have their portraits taken, so I decided that I'd use it for their very first Christmas.

I made a reservation weeks ago for November 16th at 10:00 a.m., when they first open. I figured this was a perfect time to have them taken because it was before Thanksgiving and it was so early in the morning. I could get the boys dressed, take them to Sears, then get them out. Didn't happen.

I am not one to complain to nice people who work at stores, so I'll complain to my blog friends. Lucky you!

My mom, the boys and I arrived at 10, which is when the studio opened. There was only one person working at that time. One. Her job was to check families in, take their pictures, answer the phone, make reservations while on the phone and print out pictures while people waited.

Even though we arrived at 10-on-the-dot, there was another family scheduled for the same time slot who arrived a few minutes before we did, so they got to go first. Needless to say, we weren't seen until 10:40. The boys were getting fidgety and cranky, which doesn't make for good picture-taking.

When we went into the studio when it was our turn, we tried our hardest to make the kids happy and comfortable while they were being handsome little models. The poor photographer kept running out of the studio to answer the phone and check other people in. I was getting a aggravated because our session was interrupted so many times, but it wasn't her fault that nobody else was scheduled to help her. We spent about 30 minutes taking pictures. They didn't have ANY props whatsoever and they had nothing to grab the boys attention to try and make them smile. There are only so many times the boys will smile when I say in a screechy voice "Luke. Nolan. Look up here at mommy!! Mommy loves you!!" My mom whipped out her car keys and started jingling them like a crazy person just to get them to both look in the same direction!!

This is a complaint that most moms of multiples have: it's incredibly HARD to have your kids look at the same spot and smile at the same time!! I guess any mom with more than one kid probably has this problem!

When we were finished, the photographer asked that we come back in a half hour so that she can upload our pictures and we can order the ones we want. I was generous and went back 45 minutes later and she STILL wasn't ready for us. Luckily, a young man arrived to help her at this time, so he uploaded our pictures after my mom had to lay the smack-down (thanks, mom!!).

We got a couple of good shots, so I just ordered them and high-tailed it out of there.

This is the reason I'm getting a DSLR. Hopefully next Christmas I'll be able to take a nice picture of the boys by myself!

I can't wait to begin working on their very first Christmas card!!

8 comments:

2SetsOfTwins4Me said...

That sucks
I know how frusterating it can be to get good pics but if i were you, i would call and complain and ask for retakes because it wasnt your fault that they scheduled someone at the same time, and there was only 1 person working.

I will never go back to sears because we had the same problem with them only having 1 person working, which is what i see too when i have gone to walmart.
The last pics we had done were at Target and they had 2 workers alone taking pictures as well as the person who answers phones,etc.

Meant to be a mom said...

What a bummer. I would have been really frustrated too. I'm glad you got that over with and hope the pics turned out good. I bet the boys looked just adorable as always.

Becks said...

Oh yeah, get a DSLR now! I bought mine when my son was about 6 weeks old, and I am sorry I didn't buy it sooner!

The reason I decided to get a DSLR now is because I really wanted to get some newborn pictures done before James grew out of that cuddly newborn phase. I shopped around and I couldn't find a photographer I liked for less than $1500! And of course, you only get one shoot, so you only have those great pictures at one age, unless you go back over and over and over again. I bought my DSLR (a nikon D80 with a 50mm lens - a professional grade camera!) for only $500 off craigslist. It takes the best pictures - just as good as a portrait studio or a professional photographer. I love it, and I couldn't recommend having your own camera more.

Becks said...

Actually, if you go to my blog you can see some of the pictures it takes. I love that I can take great pictures of my own kids!

Holly said...

I just read your blog (Im on bedrest so that explains the time I have). What a wonderful story your family has. Congrats and keep the fun stories coming!

Holly said...

I just read your blog (Im on bedrest so that explains the time I have). What a wonderful story your family has. Congrats and keep the fun stories coming!

Heather said...

Ugh. I know how awful Sears can be. I've gone there twice and it is always like that. Understaffed. This year I am going to attempt to take pictures myself. This should be hilarious.

I can't wait to see the ones you got though. I bet they are still great!

Sarah said...

Sorry it didn't go so well. We had the same experience at JC Penny earlier in June. They even had 3 people working and we didn't get in until 45 min our scheduled time and then had to wait over an hour to look at the pics.

Can't wait to see the pics though.