Wednesday, September 9, 2009

sleepy time question

My Blogger friend, Marcia asked about how I'm getting the boys to sleep for between 6 to 7 hours a night, so I figured I'd answer it in a post.

Answer: I have no clue.

It just happened one blessed night and it's been happening ever since. Now if there's one thing I've learned, it's that if you talk about your babies sleeping relatively well, you know that reality will slap you in the face and they'll start sleeping in two hour increments. Here's hoping this doesn't happen!

Here's what goes on during the daytime with the little guys:

By no means are they on a schedule or anything. Every day is different. Depending on when they fall asleep, they usually wake from anywhere between 6 and 9 a.m. We'll feed them, change them, then we "play" on the activity mat or on the bed with mommy & daddy if it's the weekend. Sometimes they take a half hour nap or so in the mornings, sometimes they don't. I like to try and feed them every 4 hours, but sometimes they get hungry earlier and they'll let me know. After their lunch bottle, Nolan will usually take a nap and Luke will stay awake. I haven't gotten into putting the kids in their cribs for naps because I have no clue when they'll fall asleep, so they take their naps wherever it happens to be that they fell asleep. Luke will eventually take a nap, but he definitely likes to stay awake longer than Nolan does. They'll take a late afternoon bottle and this is when they like to be awake. They aren't always super happy in the evenings though. They tend to be cranky from between 6 and 9 p.m. This is when Justin and I are trying to make dinner and relax after a long day, so it's sometimes kind of sad when your little one is looking at you with a pouty face when you just want to cuddle with him. They take their final bottle before bed time from anywhere between 8 to 10:30 usually.

I'm still flying by the seat of my pants here when it comes to the parenting game. There is absolutely no rhyme or reason as to how I do things and who knows if I’m doing it "correct," but it's the right fit for our life. I'm honestly just going with the flow when it comes to the boys. I haven't read any books on sleep training and I don't plan to. This may change in the future, but my mom and momma V managed to get Justin and I to sleep as babies without the help of a book, so I figured I'd try the same.

The only thing that we are compulsive about is feeding the boys at the same time. Nolan has been a little bugger lately and will take 2 to 3 ounces before he grows bored and starts sticking his tongue out when I try to put the bottle in his mouth. This means that I have to try and feed him the rest of the bottle in a half hour. If he doesn't take it, I can't force him to, so he just chills until he's hungry…then we give him a "snack" of an ounce or two in between his next bottle if he wants it. Luke has been consistently eating his entire bottle. I can't wait to find out how much the little guys weigh at their 2 month appointment on Friday!

1 comments:

Sarah said...

I get asked all the time about how I do it too. Both boys have been STTN for over a month now. They go to bed around 8-9pm and wake up around 7am. We are both blessed with babies that stay on the same sleeping schedule :-)