Friday, August 7, 2009

Sleep. What's that?

I wish the boys were doing a little more of this....
It's been a few days since I posted, but it has been quite busy around our household. I am typing this one-handed because I'm holding Luke in my left arm.

We had our incredible wedding photographers come over the other day to take some pictures of the boys. From what I took a peek at on their camera, the pictures seem to have turned out well, but I can't wait to see the finished product! The boys were SO well-behaved during their little photo session and I couldn't have been happier about that!

I figured that since they spent so much time awake while having their pictures taken, they'd be tuckered out and have a very restful night. I was sadly mistaken. Nolan was awake every two hours. I try not to pick him up once he's in his crib (and I know he's fed and dry); I usually just rub his belly or cheek, but nothing was working. Justin had to bring the swing into the nursery and we put him in that. He eventually fell asleep, but woke again in an hour. The thing that's hard is that when one baby cries, he wakes his brother so there's double the tears. Not too much fun at 3 a.m.
I go back to work in a month so I need to try and get myself used to staying awake after their 5 or 6 a.m. feeding. Justin usually stays awake to either go for a run or get ready for work, depending on the time the boys eat, and I go back to sleep since I'm on maternity leave. I like to wake about an hour before the boys' next morning bottle so that I can have some coffee and take a shower, but I totally missed it this morning. I was sleeping like the dead and slept until Nolan woke me with his cries. I didn't have time to run to the bathroom or brush my teeth -- gross I know! He was hungry and when he's hungry, it's best to feed him immediately, which I did.
The boys literally want to be held all.the.time lately. I have to sit on the couch holding one baby in my arms while the other is on my lap. This isn't very conducive to getting housework done...and by housework, I mean making bottles (there are lots of bottles around here!), taking out poopy diaper trash and doing the laundry which manages to accumulate very quickly.

I know that I have the boys to keep me company, but honestly, I get lonely during the day when Justin isn't here so I've been sneaking off to my mom's house so that she and my sister can keep me company. I love those women! They usually come to my house two days a week and I go to their house another two. They're headed off to our mountain house for a few days and I won't see them until next Wednesday. What am I going to so?! I'm sure I won't die of boredom, but I will miss their company.

Luke finally fell asleep, so I'm going to attempt to put him in his crib without waking him. Hopefully tonight we are able to catch a break with the sleeping. Keep your fingers crossed for us!

5 comments:

Little Wonders said...

Ahh, the joys of twin parenthood :) I could have written that post, esp about our LOs wanting to be held all the time. I love holding them, but it does get a little old when you've had one or two babies in your arm for 5 hours straight. The only way I seem to get dinner these days is standing in the kitchen while holding a baby ;) Well, just know you're not alone - and even though it might not feel like it right now, it's actually a fairly short span of time - and before we know it our little ones are going to sleep through the night and hate to be held by mommy!

Laura said...

I recently read a blog post from a girl whose daughter is two weeks old and slept 8 hours a night. I hated her. My son is two MONTHS old and still doesn't sleep through the night. :( So I totally know what you mean about the sleep thing.

And my son went through an I-must-be-held-all-the-time phase like that when he was about their age too. He is getting better again now though! So hopefully it'll only be a few more weeks for you. :)

Leigh said...

Hi Jennifer

i looked for a link to email you but couldn't find one. Would love if you could email me back.

How did you decide on breast vs bottle?

we also have twins and i've been going through a LOT with this very issue.

Would love to hear from a fellow twin mom.

Also, our twins are soooo kicking our butt with this sleep thing. My daughter is perfectly behaved during the day but at night will NOT settle. Driving me nuts - seriously

Jenna said...

I enjoyed reading your blog, this was my first visit here! I am a twin also and always enjoy hearing the stories of others who have twins. :)

Jenna
www.momsbalancingact.com

Giustina said...

Jenn I love reading your blog! I can't wait to come see them again!! By the way that outfit the boys are wearing in the first picture is soooo cute...who ever got them that must have good taste!!!! have you put on the bathing suits yet??