Monday, August 24, 2009

Random update on the boys

We had a lovely weekend with family and friends, but it's back to reality this morning. Luke and Nolan typically wake up around 7 to 8 then they have their morning bottle. After they get dressed we usually move on to the activity mat. They usually spend about 15 to 20 minutes on their mat before they grow bored. While they're on the mat, I take the opportunity to wash last night's bottles then prepare new bottles for the day. Each boy usually takes 7 bottles a day...sometimes 8 (they're drinking 5 1/2 ounces). We only have 12 of the 8oz Dr. Brown's bottles, so I wash them in batches: in the morning and late afternoons. I should just pick up an extra pack of bottles which would probably make life much easier! At them moment, they're going through one and a half of the large cans of formula a week!
Sometimes they take a morning nap for a half hour to an hour if I'm lucky. They usually nap in the Pack 'n Play, bouncy chair or swing, which happens to be Nolan's favorite. I take that opportunity to start a load of laundry and get some other chores done. They also take their afternoon naps there too. I should probably try to transition them to their cribs just so they get used to it, but they don't have set nap times yet so I'm not sure how to do it exactly. Do I put pick them up once they're asleep and put them in the nursery, or do I wait until they're around 4 months and start putting them up while they're awake, but tired? Decisions, decisions.

Since they've been awake so much, I've noticed that they're more "talkative." There's a lot of cooing going on and I'm loving it!

I've also noticed that the boys seem to fuel eachother with the crying. Both of them could be perfectly happy and content hanging out on the activity mat, then one will start whining, which starts his brother with whining then crying. Once I calm one baby, the other will automatically calm himself. I'm guessing this happens with other twins as well?

I mentioned that the boys were pretty cranky in the evenings from around 6 to 9. Last night actually wasn't too terrible and they both went down into their cribs pretty easily. Justin has a fantasy football draft tonight, so I will be putting the boys to sleep on my own. I'm hoping they treat me well!


Luke has been blowing bubbles and being a little drooly. He's only two months, so he's not teething (I ran my finger over his gums just to check), so I'm not too sure why he's doing this.

Last week, Nolan was really struggling to poo. He wasn't crying from pain or anything, but his face would get very red and he strained to get it out. It may be a little TMI, but it was also a lot harder than it previously was. His pedi suggested that I give him an ounce of apple juice to loosen him up. I did it a few times last week and it did work, but I think it made him very gassy so I discontinued it. Well, I noticed today that he was starting to struggle again this morning. I'm going to try an ounce of apple juice again, but if it makes him gassy, I'm going to give up on it and call the pedi again.



Just as a side note, Luke has been happily playing on the activity mat now for over an hour! That never happens! Nolan has transitioned to his swing and he's taking a nap :)




3 comments:

Allison said...

Your Boys are so precious! I love seeing pics of your days!

Meant to be a mom said...

I can't believe how big the boys are already getting. They are so cute.
I love the little robes they are wearing.

Jenifer said...

I just wanted to congratulate you! I came across your blog and it intrigues me! I am a fraternal twin another Jenifer and my twin is Jessica. My son is 9 months old and I have enjoyed reading your blog because it reminds me of when my little one was small not so long ago. Thank you for your blog it's so fun to read and watch the boys grow. Honestly it gives me a better undertanding of just how tiresome it was to raise 2 at the same time and I appreciate all that my parents did for Jessi and I.