Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Getting Into Pre-Baby Shape

We’ve all heard the interviews of celebrity mommies who manage to whip their body into pre-baby shape just a few short months after they give birth. Heidi Klum walked the Victoria Secret catwalk 2 months after the birth of her son Henry! Crazy!! They all claim to lose the weight the same way: “I have no time to work out, I’ve lost the weight (and have rock-hard abs) because I’m busy chasing around after my baby.” All of the women in the real world (i.e. you and I) roll our eyes and think “sure you do. You probably have a team of nannies who watch your baby while your personal chef cooks you healthy meals and your very handsome trainer kicks your butt in your home gym. THAT’S why you look amazing.”

Now that the boys are here, I’m thinking there may be some truth to their words! I’m sure celebrity moms manage to actually train with the help of a nanny and trainer, but I find that running around the house trying to get things done is a workout in and of itself!

The boys don’t usually nap at the same time. For the most part, one is always up. When I get the rare instance where both boys are napping together, I run around the house like a mad woman trying to make my house look like a bunch of vagabonds don’t reside here.

This morning both boys fell asleep on the couch while I was sitting with them. Great, I probably have 20 to 30 minutes to get things done! Here’s what I managed to do:

strip the bed and gather dirty laundry
take the laundry downstairs to put into the washing machine (2 flights down)
head back upstairs to change the sheets (2 flights up)
gather trash from the third floor bathroom and nursery
take the trash out (2 flights down)
make breakfast (1 flight upstairs)
eat breakfast and comfort waking babies
wash the bottles from last night’s feedings
Swiffer the kitchen

aaaand, the babies are up.

That’s a lot to accomplish in a half hour! Sometimes if I need to get things done around the house during the day and a baby is awake, I use the baby carrier, which adds resistance!! The weight is coming off, but there's still about 11 pounds to go. I don't think I'll get back to pre-pg weight, but I'd definitely like to tone up. I bought two new bikinis for my trip to Ocean City, MD in a few weeks. I'm not going to look like I did last summer...I'm going to look BETTER because I'm going to be sporting two new additions...Luke & Nolan!


9 comments:

Nicole said...

That does sound like quite the workout! I'm sure you'll look just fine in your bikini. Have fun!

Tabitha said...

Love your attitude! And I'm glad your baby wieght is melting off!

Laura said...

I only have about 10lbs to get to my pre-baby weight. Unfortunately, I will never see a bikini again with these horrid stretchmarks. :(

Rebekah said...

Whew! I feel like I worked out just reading this! Have fun at the beach sporting your new bikini and new "accessories"! :)

The Wilson's said...

I'm so with you, but I just have one baby! I have 8 pounds left to go, but I think that may stick around until I am done breast feeding. I was back in a bikini 6 weeks after Jackson. Now if my hips would go back to normal I may be able to wear my pre-pregnancy clothes some day!

Sarah said...

Glad baby weight is coming off. I only have a few more lbs left to go. It felt so good wearing summer clothes from last summer. Imagine the workout we are going to get when they become toddlers. I get tired just thinking about them running in opposite directions and chasing them both. :-)

Meant to be a mom said...

Good job on loosing the weight.
I'm sure you'll bounce back to your old body before you know it.

Claire said...

I just came back from OC last week, South Moon Under has really cute suits and even some on sale. Right next door is a really cute kids clothing store...around 65th street bay side I think.

I can't remember how I came across your blog but I think its great!

Erin said...

Rock those bikinis, girl! I'm sure you'll look fabulous. I am 16-months post delivery and still have some of the stretched-out twin-skin on my belly -- but that's never going away, I've just accepted it for what it is! I think that those celebrity moms do have a lot of extras that we don't have -- and most of them didn't have twins.