Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Back in Labor & Delivery...again

Last night I was watching American Idol (go Danny!) and I noticed that I was having timeable BH contractions. It was every 6 minutes, then 8 minutes, then 7 minutes...you get the picture. I had 6 contractions in the span of 30-40 minutes so I called the emergency line at my OB's office and the doctor wanted me to head to Labor & Delivery for monitoring.

I got myself checked in and they strapped the monitors to my belly to monitor the boys' heartbeats and any contractions I was having. I had to give a urine sample, so I lay in bed hooked up to the monitors while they ran that test. Justin was like the water police and kept bringing me water to drink because he didn't want me to get an IV -- I didn't want one either, so I drank like there was no tomorrow.

I could feel the contractions coming and was checking them out on the monitor. After every contraction, the boys would kick and punch belly and it looked like there was some sort of party going on under my gown!

The doctor came in and performed a fetal fibronectin test (fFN) to test for preterm labor and she swabbed me to see if I was leaking any amniotic fluid, which I thankfully wasn't! I was barely a fingertip dilated, which is also good. She gave me the results of my urine test which showed that I was a little dehydrated when I arrived at the hospital, but since Justin was so diligent about providing me with water, I didn't need an IV. The contractions had also subsided as I was laying there.

About 45 minutes later, the results of my fFn showed that I wasn't in danger of preterm labor (yea!) so I was sent home with instructions to keep drinking and take it easy. We got home around 1:30 and promptly went to bed. I'm feeling much better this morning and have been drinking water like a mad woman. As nice as the nurses and doctors were, I do not want to have to go back. The next time I go to L&D, I want to come home with my little bundles of joy!

8 comments:

Heather said...

Yay for a negative FFN! Thank goodness you are home from work now and can take it easy.

And you are right... go Danny!

Meant to be a mom said...

Wow, I'm so glad everything is ok and you didn't have those little boys last night. You definitely want them to stay in as long as possible.
Oh and Danny was good last night but I really like Kris Allen. I wonder who gets kicked off tonight???

Rebekah said...

Glad everything is okay!

Erin said...

Wow, so glad that you're still pregnant and able to rest at home, rather than being stuck in the hospital! And yeah for a negative fFN! And welcome to the wonderful world of being checked ...

Erin said...

Oh - and that's for nominating me for the Sisterhood Award -- I don't even know what that is, but it sounds great!

bella grace photography said...

Yea so glad for the great outcome last night..I did the very same thing..only one baby at the time for me tho...but it was not drinking enough water that made me have contractions....so fill her up please..lol
good luck

Sarah said...

Glad everything went well! Stay in babies! Hopefully you wont have a stubborn baby who will kick and break your water. :-)

Erin said...

Hey -- when you don't post for a few days, I start to think that maybe you're back in the hospital or that the boys decided to make an early appearance ... Hope you are well!