Thursday, February 26, 2009

"you've gained how much?"

Apparently I need to lay off the shamrock shakes...

I had my monthly appointment with my OB this past Monday where they check my blood pressure, urine, babies' heartbeats and my weight. Everything checked out okay so far except for the fact that I gained 10 pounds this past month. Now, I thought this was a bit much but figured "hey, I'm carrying twins, it can't be all that bad." Then it was time for me to meet with my doctor and she asked me what I was eating. I looked over at Justin and he, of course, had smirk on his face and informed her that I eat "everything." I gave her a run-down of what I've been doing and she advised that I lay off the fast food and try eating salads with veggies and baked chicken for dinner because she'd ideally like to see me gain around 6 pounds a month -- not 10. For the record, I don't just eat fast food -- I do eat actual meals, but I am eating nuggets, fries and shakes much more often than I ever did before.
I've never been what one would call a "healthy" eater. Sure, I enjoy vegetables and salads and whatnot, but I also LOVE cakes, cookies and ice cream and have never really denied myself any of the things I enjoy eating -- I just ate them in moderation. The problem with me, for the past month, has been that I've been overdoing it. The dinners that I used to cook at home have turned into a quick drive-thru at Wendy's and Taco Bell because I'm so hungry come 5 p.m. that I don't want to spend the half hour it would take to prepare a much healthier meal. So, after my visit with the OB, I made myself a goal for this month: I will not be hitting the drive thru for anything. My dinners will be made at home -- even if I do make my own tacos, they'll be far better for me and the babies than eating Taco Bell. If I do gain another 10 pounds in a month, it'll be because my babies are growing nice and strong, not because I've been eating too much Entenmann's cheese cake danish.


If you have any healthy (and most importantly, quick) dinner ideas, please feel free to share -- I'm open to suggestions!

3 comments:

Meant to be a mom said...

Your funny and by the way that danish looked delicious! I'm not a super healthy eater either but I do love a homecooked meal. As far as a healthy homecooked meal I tried making a simple baked chicken last week that wasn't too bad. All it had was cream of mushroom soup on top a small sprinkle of parmasean cheese and some italian bread crums. We ate it with white rice and green beans and it was pretty good. I think it was healthy but I'm not sure?

Good luck I hope you get some good recipes.

Erin said...

Okay, I'm going to sound like a total housewife from the 1950s, but do you have a crockpot/slow cooker? It's amazing all of the delicious dinners you can cook in a crock pot, and you can make the stuff in the morning before you're starving, and then, when you get home at night, you'll have a nice dinner waiting for you, totally ready to eat!

Kelli, Ken and Gia said...

Chicken noodle soup homemade is cheap and easy! I have been eating that all the time lately!

You'll need a couple/three large boneless skinless chicken breasts, carrots (I buy the mini ones because they are easier to chop up), celery, egg noodles (one big bag) and bouillon cubes. Boil the chicken for 30 min or so until cooked through with the celery and carrots and 3 or 4 of the bouillon cubes, after chicken is cooked, take it out and shred it, add it back to the broth and add egg noodles and VOILA! Homemade soup. I like it because it doesn't involve much time in the kitchen. You just add stuff to water, very little prep and it makes a bunch, so lots of leftovers!

ps. I keep string cheese and triscuits in my car to hold me over until I get done with dinner.

OH, and crockpot recipes are easy. I have lots of those too!