Monday, February 2, 2009

Big Ultrasound Day!

Today was our big appointment! We were scheduled to be seen at 2:30, so we arrived just a little bit early and were informed that there was a two hour wait to be seen...two hours! Crikies -- does this happen a lot?!? Justin and I looked at eachother, shrugged our shoulders and said "we'll wait around." How could we not? We were too excited.

Our moms waited in the L&D waiting room with us and we read baby magazines and talked about how we couldn't wait to see the little babies.

Finally, just a little after 4:00, the ultrasound technician called us back to our room. I leaped out of the chair like a crazy person because I was so excited! We went into the ultrasound room (all 7 of us...I'm including the ultrasound tech and twins) for the exam. As soon as she stuck the jelly and wand on my belly, my two beautiful little babies were there...facing eachother. My heart melted! I'm in love all over again!! I couldn't tear my eyes away from the screen. She started out with Baby A who was moving around and flapping his/her little arms. Then it was time to move over to Baby B who was sucking his/her thumb...more heart melting ensued from the mom-to-be! I looked over at Justin and he was beaming -- such a great moment for us! It was also really amazing to see their hearts flicker so strongly on the screen.

After the tech was finished with the measurements, she asked if we wanted to know what she THINKS the babies' genders are. We all said "of course!" She said she's 70% sure that they're both boys!! Just 70% ?!?!?! She said that because of the way they were sitting and facing one another, she wasn't able to get a definitive read on the sex. Uhhhh, not what I wanted to hear, but I honestly didn't care because just seeing their little hearts beat and watching them move around was enough for me! I go for another ultrasound in 5 weeks, so I'll be 21 weeks at that point. I was debating on whether or not I should go have a 3D ultrasound done in 2 weeks just to be certain that they're both boys, but I'm still thinking about it...what do you think?! Would you have it done?

Here are a few pictures from the ultrasound:

Here's Baby A's Profile



Here is Baby A with his hand in front of his face!



Baby B sucking his thumb!



Here's this week's belly shot -- 16 weeks.



After the ultrasound, we met with the Perinatologist. What a weirdo. He sat in his chair with a gangsta lean and his hands behind his head and asked me how I got pregnant with twins. I told him I went to see a Reproductive Endocronologist and what eventually worked was Clomid + IUI+ Progesterone Supps. He then asked me if my RE was happy that I was having twins. How do I answer that!? I told him that she did make me aware that I could have multiples (I had 3 follicles) and that my chances of twins was only 8%. He then proceeded to tell me things I already know:

  1. "When you're pregnant with twins, your chances of early delivery are greater."

  2. "You have a greater chance of developing gestational diabetes."

  3. "You have a greater chance of developing pre-eclampsia."

Then he said that the twins are measuring just fine and I'm to come back in 4 weeks for another ultrasound. That was it. It took all of 4 minutes. I just nodded at him, thanked him and left.

Despite the doctor who told me absolutely nothing, it was a great visit and I can't wait until the next one!

Once we left the office, Justin started planning his little ice hockey team. He wants them to follow in his footsteps and NOTHING would make me happier than if they followed their father's incredible footsteps. My three men...

7 comments:

Erin said...

Well, I guess that 70% is pretty good, right?? I LOVE having 2 little boys, it's just fabulous! So excited for you guys.

Little Wonders said...

So exciting!! I'm so happy for you!! What a bummer, though, about having to wait for almost 2 hours for your u/s and the doctor being such a moron. Is he the only doc at your practice? Have you considered switching? I know that's a total hassle and not always an option with needing to find another peri, etc. As long as he is doing a good job, I guess we can look past his social incompetence, uh ? :)

If I was in your shoes, I'd totally consider the 3D ultrasound. It just seems like torture to wait another 4 weeks to find out for sure ... although 70% is a pretty good guess. Either way, congrats on the
"boys" looking fabulous, and so do you, by the way.

Rebekah said...

Sounds like all is well! Sorry you didn't get a great shot, but congrats on possibly 2 boys!!

Gemma said...

That's great that yourself and the twins are doing well! I guessed at two boys, so feeling smug lol :-)

Meant to be a mom said...

Yay two boys. How much fun your going to have. They will be your little men. I'm so happy for you guys. If I was you I would probably do the 3D if nothing else than for the fun of it and of course just to make sure. How much fun, I absolutely loved the picture of your sweet little boy sucking his thumb. SO CUTE! :)

Hoping to make it three!! said...

Ahhhhh thats wonderful news. O actually voted 2 boys on your poll! Welcome to the wonderful world of team blue!!!

My tech wasn't 100% sure about boy either at 16 weeks but at 20 weeks it was for sure.

Kelli, Ken and Gia said...

Congrats on your two boys! I am so excited for you! We got an 80% chance from our technician. I kind of laughed because it seems like being that closed to 100 seems silly to make a big deal out of, but I guess they are covering their butts so that if people spend thousands of dollars on a blue room and end up with 2 girls, they can't get sued...? I don't know. LOL, anyway, congrats!