Monday, January 5, 2009

Justin's nickname for me...

The other day Justin called me his "little hobbit." I said "huh?" I thought he was trying to insinuate that I have large hairy feet or something (while I do wear a size 10 shoe -- gasp! -- I can assure you that my feet are hairless). He laughed and told me that hobbits eat many meals throughout the day, much like myself. The one he pointed out was my new-found habit of eating a "second breakfast." As I type, at 11:43 in the morning, I'm having my " first lunch."

I did a bit of research and found that hobbits typically eat seven meals a day:

breakfast
second breakfast
elevenses
luncheon
afternoon tea
dinner
supper (aka Captain Crunch cereal in bed at 10 p.m. for me!)

He's right, I really DO eat like a hobbit!

In my 12th week, the last week of my first trimester, the babies are the size of a plum. Male or female organs are clearly visible and may be detected via ultrasound. My uterus is growing and will slowly make it's way north in the 2nd trimester. If I poke at my uterus now, since the babies reflexes have developed, they will wiggle and squirm in response even though I can't feel it. That amazes me!I'm definitely feeling a lot better, but I notice that if I don't eat every 2 hours, I start to get a bit shaky. Last Friday, I woke up early in the morning to get ready for work and while I was in my bathroom, I started to feel dizzy. I went downstairs to make myself a bowl of cereal and I started sweating and blackness crept into my eyes. I sat on the floor until it passed then stood up, grabbed my cereal and went to eat it while watching my lady-crush, Ann Curry. I called my ob/gyn, and the nurse told me that she gets a call like this every day and it's totally normal, I just need to eat more frequently. I was only awake for a half hour though! Does she want me to eat immediately upon waking?! I can barely drag myself out of bed to take a shower! Thankfully, it hasn't happened since.

5 comments:

Hoping to make it three!! said...

I can't believe you are already 12 weeks!!! It's crazy how fast it goes huh??? I can't wait for you to find out what your having!!! Do you have any guesses??

Erin said...

When I was pregnant with my twins, I would often wake up during the night absolutely starving -- and make myself a bowl of Apple Jacks. Yum! If you're feeling light-headed when you wake up, you might want to keep some of the mini Cliff or Luna bars by your bed and have a little snack before you actually get out of bed -- that should help with the dizziness! Also, another trick that I learned while pregnant was to make myself a glass of Instant Breakfast as soon as I woke up -- because that's really quick and easy to consume and takes a lot less time to get into your system than solid foods.

Meant to be a mom said...

Thats so exciting that your babies are growing so fast and they are moving around (even though you can't really feel it) you will soon enough! I'm with the last person who posted on here, Whats your guess on what the sex's will be?

Meant to be a mom said...

I did go to have the retrieval earlier this week. But they sent us home to take a few more days of meds. Now we go back tomorrow. So after work we get back in the car for a 6 hour drive to have the retrieval. I'm excited but still so nervous.
I can't wait to find out what your having??? When do you find out?

Little Wonders said...

Jen, Your list of hobbits' meals is so funny ... and so true :) I'm with Erin, I have frequent middle of the night meals, which sometimes makes me feel a little better in the mornings. Also, congrats for passing that 1st trimester. What an accomplishment! Can you believe we're only 6 days apart?! I wonder who'll end up having their babies first :)