Saturday, November 29, 2008

Telling our Families

Justin and I told our families that we're expecting twins on Thanksgiving.

My best friend Melissa arrived before our family did because she was going to record everything. After our parents got there, I left the room to change into the shirt I bought that said "Does this baby make me look fat?" I planned on walking into the living room and just standing around until someone noticed it.

We're missing the first 10 seconds or so of the video where I'm standing there in a room full of silence until my father in law shouted "Are you kidding me?!" Here's what happened after, it's a little long (and VERY loud!) -- Melissa recorded for about 5 1/2 minutes ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW9FaX1ylns

About an hour after we told them, I started bleeding and immediately freaked out. Justin called the emergency number at my RE's office. It only took about 5 minutes before the doctor-on-call called us back. She asked if I had any cramping or excessive bleeding (which she explained was filling a pad in an hour) or clotting. I told her no. She said that since I had an internal ultrasound the day before, that was likely causing the bleeding today and that I should take it easy and it was normal. She made an appointment for me on Saturday morning to have another ultrasound to see how the twins were doing and to see if there was any blood pooling in my uterus.

I got back from the appointment just a short while ago and everything looked wonderful. The babies are 8mm long and their little hearts are beating like crazy! Justin and I were so relieved when we saw them.

Overall, despite the scare, it was a wonderful Thanksgiving. Our parents were so excited and I loved their reactions! My parents are very quiet and teary and Justin's parents are very expressive!

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving too!

5 comments:

WiseGuy said...

Wow!

Erin said...

Aw, I'm so glad you had such a fun time telling your parents, and that the spotting wasn't anything serious -- I had a similar scare like that when I was about 9 weeks -- and the OB checked for a heartbeat at my appointment - and that is when we found out we were having twins!

Tried watching the video, but it is private!

jessica56 said...

That is a great story! I am glad to hear that everything is alright with your babies!

hopefully this IUI cycle will mean twins for me too!!

Rebekah said...

That is great! How neat to have it all on video to look back on.

Glad to hear all is ok with the babies!

Kelli, Ken and Gia said...

Thanks so much! Gia is our everything for the moment. The world stops when she makes a new sound or does something new. It sounds like things are going well for you. Are you going to find out the sex? This is the new "argument" at the moment...