Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Not Your Typical Christmas Dilemma...

Last week, I was talking with one of my co-worker friends about the upcoming holiday season. She asked me if I plan to take Christmas Eve and the day after Christmas off and I told her that I did. I always use my vacation days for those particular days because I have long-standing Christmas Eve traditions and I like to relax the day after Christmas.

She told me that she thinks that people without children, like myself, should offer to work those days so that mothers with young children get first "dibs" on holidays. What?! I was taken aback! First of all, I save vacation days throughout the year so that I can take those particular days off. Second of all, I felt like she was discriminating against me because I don’t have any children! I truly believe she wasn’t trying to be malicious, but I was really offended so I told her how I felt. She backtracked and told me that she just thought it would be a nice thing for childless women to do. Even though I don’t have children, I still have a family that I enjoy spending time with!

I didn’t get into it any further with her because it wouldn’t have ended well, but I stand by my decision and I will be enjoying my Christmas vacation.

5 comments:

Tab said...

I'm so sorry, that was an aweful and incensitive thing for her to say to you! I'm sure she didn't know you were TTC but still...but good for you for standing your ground!!

jessica56 said...

Wow! I can't believe people sometimes! The lack of common sense is unbelievable! Whether or not we have our own families- we are all still part of families!! Good for you for standing up for yourself! I hope that at Christmas time you can pat your bump!!

Peachy said...

Wow! People are unbelievable sometimes, who wouldn't want to be with their family on Christmas. I am sorry she was so insensitive!

Jennifer said...

Jeez where do people get these things???/ How rude. Even if you weren't trying to get pregnant I mean come on. Vacation days are to be used when people want to use them. It's your choice. Maybe she should have saved hers. Rude, rude rude. If you want me to come up to philly and punch her in the face I'm there.

athom19 said...

Love your blog. Just found it and we are getting ready to go down the IUI road. People are unbelievable! I used to get that when I worked in the hospital. I used to cave and give into those punks, but then I realized it was just as important for me to be with my family as well. I say throat punch her!